Palm Peat is a uniform, consistent, high quality horticultural growing medium, which ensures good germination of seed, and vigorous root, plant and flower development. Palm Peat, also known a coir or coconut husk, is a potting medium that provides an alternative to potting soil featuring high water retention, suitable aeration and antifungal benefits. Palm Peat ensures good germination of seed and vigorous root, plant and flower development.
USES AND BENEFITS:
Starke Ayres Palm Peat has excellent water and air retention characteristics, it is free of weeds, pests and insect organisms and has a balanced pH of between 5.4 and 6.8.
Starke Ayres Palm Peat is ideal for the:
- Production of vegetables and flower seedlings in trays and punnets;
- Rooting of a wide range of cuttings;Growing on of seedlings and cuttings;
- Potting and re-potting of indoor and patio plants; and
- Mulching of flowers, plants, shrubs and trees.
Starke Ayres Palm Peat is compressed into a dry 1 ℓ brick for ease of storage and transport. It resumes its natural, fluffed-out consistency and volume of 8 litres, when water is added.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS:
- Improved storage capacity.
- Easy usage and application.
- DRY AND INERT – No smell.
- PRESENTATION – Long shelf-life.
- HIGH WATER HOLDING – Reduced watering frequency,
- CAPACITY – Less water usage.
- HIGH POROSITY – Rapid water uptake and drainage.
- FIBROUS (LIGNITIC) – Root plug holds together well. Long period before breaking down.
- Excellent mulch.
- HIGH AERATION – Vigorous root growth.
- PH RANGE 5.4 TO 6.8 – Optimum for general
- plant growth. Suitable as a pot plant mix
- NO ADDED CHEMICALS – Added safety, good for cuttings.
- CLEAN – Pleasant to use.
METHOD OF APPLICATION:
- Break Starke Ayres Palm Peat brick in a large (10 litre) bucket/tubtrug and use it as needed.
- Use 3 to 4 liters of water per peat block and soak overnight, you can always add more water if needed.
- After you have soaked the block, fluff it up with your hands / cultivator or a hand fork. The consistency has to be similar to compost/potting soil.
- Fill a planter to within 5cm from the top with the moistened and fluffed coco peat. Transplant potted seedlings into the coco peat as you would with potting soil according to the depth needed for your plant. Place the planter in the appropriate light conditions for your plant.
- A balanced, water-soluble nutrient mixture, such as Starke Ayres Nutrifeed may be added to the water at 5 g per 5 litre (prior to pouring on), this will ensure that nutrients are locked into the mix and made available to the plants.