(Get It September 2019)
Transforming a small garden patio into a retreat.
Transforming a small garden patio into a retreat. With the right accessories and plants, even the smallest garden patio can become an inviting, private escape. Try these ideas to transform your underused patio into a secluded oasis for lounging and entertaining. Garden screens add a stylish touch to your garden patio and beautifully define the space.
- Assessment and Planning:
- Evaluate the current state of your patio, considering its size, layout, and existing features.
- Identify the purpose of your retreat. Do you want a space for relaxation, entertaining, gardening, or a combination of these?
- Clear and Clean:
- Remove any clutter, old furniture, or unnecessary items from the patio.
- Clean the space thoroughly, including sweeping, power washing surfaces, and cleaning any outdoor furniture.
- Define Zones:
- Plan different zones within the patio based on your needs. For example, create a seating area, a dining space, and a greenery zone.
- Use outdoor rugs, planters, or low walls to visually separate these zones.
- Comfortable Seating:
- Invest in comfortable outdoor furniture. Consider weather-resistant materials like teak or metal with proper cushions.
- Arrange the seating to encourage conversation and relaxation.
- Greenery and Plants:
- Introduce plants and flowers to add color, texture, and a sense of nature. Choose plants that thrive in your climate and are suitable for the available sunlight.
- Use vertical gardening solutions like wall-mounted planters to maximize space.
- Install outdoor lighting to extend the usability of the space into the evening.
Think vertical! If you don’t have enough space for numerous pots, consider a vertical garden. Hang small containers filled with lovely greenery from a wall or screen.
Create a wonderful atmosphere with lanterns or string lights.
Add a small water feature to make a big impact. You can even combine it with a bird feeder for an even greater effect.